- Officially supported Ubuntu releases
- Corresponding Linux Mint releases but not LMDE – refer to Debian instead
Add the TLP-PPA to your package sources with the commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp sudo apt update
TLP and ThinkPad-related packages below are available via the official Ubuntu repository. Nevertheless it is recommended to use the PPA to stay with the latest TLP version.
Install the following packages
- tlp (PPA or universe) – Power saving
- tlp-rdw (PPA or universe) – optional – Radio Device Wizard
either with your favorite package manager or the command:
sudo apt install tlp tlp-rdw
Depending on your model and kernel version external kernel module(s) are required to provide battery charge thresholds and recalibration.
The output of tlp-stat -b (version 1.2.2 or higher recommended) will guide you which package to install:
- acpi-call-dkms (universe) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds and recalibration for newer ThinkPads (X220/T420 and later)
- tp-smapi-dkms (PPA or universe) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds, recalibration and specific tlp-stat -b output for older ThinkPads
Install them either with your favorite package manager or the command
sudo apt install acpi-call-dkms tp-smapi-dkms
omitting the one not required by your hardware.