Execute the commands below in a root shell.
Packages are available in the offical repositories:
- tlp (Community) – Power saving
- tlp-rdw (Community) – optional, Radio Device Wizard
Install them either with your favorite package manager or the command:
pacman -S tlp tlp-rdw
Depending on your model and kernel version external kernel module(s) are required to provide battery charge thresholds and recalibration.
The output of tlp-stat -b will guide you which package to install:
- acpi_call (Community) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds and recalibration for newer ThinkPads (X220/T420 and later)
- tp_smapi (Community) – optional – External kernel module providing battery charge thresholds, recalibration and specific tlp-stat -b output for older ThinkPads
- tp_smapi-lts (Community) – optional – Use instead of tp_smapi when the LTS kernel is installed
Install them either with your favorite package manager or the command
pacman -S acpi_call tp_smapi
omitting the one not required by your hardware.
- Refer to Which kernel module do I need for my hardware? for details
- You must disable Secure Boot to use the ThinkPad specific packages
To complete the installation you must enable TLP’s service:
systemctl enable tlp.service
Using the Radio Device Wizard (tlp-rdw) requires one more service:
systemctl enable NetworkManager-dispatcher.service
You should also mask the following services to avoid conflicts and assure proper operation of TLP’s Radio Device Switching options:
systemctl mask systemd-rfkill.service systemctl mask systemd-rfkill.socket