Which types of warnings does tlp-stat -w check for?¶
Currently the command checks the kernel log for errors possibly caused by the settings for ALPM.
What should I do if warnings are shown?¶
TLP’s former [until 1.0] default setting on battery SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=min_power is optimimized for maximum power saving. Try less aggressive values: with kernel ≥ 4.15 use
for kernel < 4.15 use
or disable the setting completely – see SATA_LINKPWR_ON_AC/BAT.
Don’t forget to reboot before checking again.
- The same applies to SATA_LINKPWR_ON_AC.
- The difference in power consumption between min_power and max_performance may amount to more than 1 W depending on your hardware.
What to do if the warnings do not disappear after changing the settings?¶
- In case there are only 1 or 2 warnings immediately after system boot or a change of power source: users reported it is safe to just ignore them.
- In case of a high warning count: try to use a newer kernel version.
What is the cause for these errors?¶
- Poor implementation of ALPM in the disk’s firmware or SATA controller or System BIOS
- Issues between the controller and the disk
- Kernel driver issues